The key ingredients are petroleum-based isopropyl alcohol along with aloe vera gel.
Did you know you can make your own hand sanitizer using petroleum-based isopropyl or rubbing alcohol? Don’t pay sky-high prices online for Purrell. Here’s a recipe by Dr. Rishi Desai, chief medical officer of Osmosis, we found on Healthline.com.
Hand sanitizer recipe
- 3/4 cup of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99 percent).
- 1/4 cup of aloe vera gel (helps counteract the harshness of alcohol).
- 10 drops of essential oil (e.g. lavender oil) or use lemon juice instead.
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl.
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- Pour the ingredients into an empty bottle for easy use.