The Crown corporation’s website says the change would cover Tesla chargers, batteries and inverters
The Canadian Press
Rebate data from Transport Canada’s zero-emission vehicle program suggests about 33,000 Teslas received rebates for new purchases in the nine months ending Dec. 31
Nova Scotia has become the latest province to scrap electric vehicle (EV) rebates for Teslas due to the chief executive’s association with the United States administration and its trade war on Canada.
The Progressive Conservative government joined with the NDP and Liberal opposition parties in a vote on Friday to drop the automaker from the rebate program, which provides subsidies that range from $2,000 to $3,000 per purchase.
The vote came after Susan Leblanc, an NDP member of the legislature, called for an amendment dropping the Elon Musk-led company’s products from the subsidy program.
Leblanc told the legislature that the owner of Tesla has aligned himself with U.S. president Donald Trump in “waging economic war on our country and this is a small way to take a stand against that.”
“There are other options for us here in Canada for electric vehicles,” she said.
Earlier this week, Manitoba’s NDP government dropped Tesla and Chinese-made electric vehicles from its EV rebate program, while BC Hydro has also said it is banning new Tesla products from its own rebate initiative.
The Crown corporation’s website says the change would cover Tesla chargers, batteries and inverters and is part of the government’s move to give preference to Canadian goods and exclude U.S. ones from rebates if practical.
Tesla’s communications division didn’t immediately respond to an emailed request for comment on Nova Scotia’s vote.
Musk has evolved into a close ally and adviser to Trump, who has ordered 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum and intends to apply additional levies on April 2.
Share This:





CDN NEWS |
US NEWS




























